News and Notes by BCM affilates:
Join John Chenger/BCM and Janet Tyburec/JTConsulting test-driving the new Wildlife Acoustics SM3 bat detector. We will be putting these detectors thru their paces at all of our workshops along side the usual assortment of makes and models from Wildlife Acoustics and other manufacturers.
John Chenger, Todd Sinander (BCM), and Dave Riggs (Myotisoft) recently assisted the PA Game Commission with winter bat surveys in several caves and mines. Check out video and photos!
BCM is now supplying the Bat Bunker artifical roost. We made some in-house mods to the shell and increased the capacity to make it a "Plus" for your local bat population!
Where was BCM? During the 2013 season we successfully completed:
~262 nights of bat capture surveys in PA, OH, WV, IA, KY, and AZ (the majority which were environmental assessments for Indiana bats)
~216 nights of acoustic monitoring in PA, IA, NY, OH, KY, and WV
~33 nights of trapping and acoustic monitoring abandoned mine features in PA
~radio tracking on two Indiana bats
~day and night radio tracking on three Eastern small-footed bats
Janet Tyburec presented Calculating Accuracy Rates Among BCID, EchoClass, Kaleidoscope Pro, and SonoBat at the 2014 SBDN Meeting; John Chenger and Joe Szewczak coauthored.
Janet Tyburec and John Chenger presented Comparing bat detector deployments at different heights, in different orientations, and using different microphone types at the 2014 SBDN Meeting.
Using Auto-classifiers to Determine Occupancy: Clinton, NJ Chenger and Tyburec presented a mini symposia at the 2014 NEBWG meeting and at the 2014 SBDN meeting demonstrating real-world results of auto-classification software with 130 people in attendance.
Acoustic Monitoring Decision Maker Workshop: State College, PA Chenger and Tyburec presented a custom workshop for Region 5 biologists and land managers in October 2013 to demonstrate best practices for collecting echolocation calls, real-world results of auto-classification software, and protocols for acoustic inventory and monitoring of bats.
2013 Society of Mining Engineers Anthracite Section
- John Chenger was the keynote speaker at the 2013 Society of Mining Engineers Anthracite Section meeting and spoke on threats to bats which is driving changes to sampling protocols.
2013 NE Bat Working Group Meeting:
- Janet Tyburec presented "Using Auto-Classifiers for Acoustic Surveys: Do Results Reflect Reality."
- John Chenger presented "How to Get That Endangered Bat Out of Your House in 20 Minutes."
- Joe Szewczak presented "A Field Test of Two Acoustic Classification Systems to Discriminate Indiana Bats (Myotis sodalis)."
2013 SE Bat Diversity Network Meeting:
- Janet Tyburec presented an updated "Using Auto-Classifiers for Acoustic Surveys: Do Results Reflect Reality" which now includes Kaleidoscope Pro.
- Joe Szewczak presented the SonoBat Expert System for bat call analysis.
Little brown bats in our occupied bat house in Pennsylvania.
Bats require a modern design, excellent construction, and proper placement.